Sunday, July 22, 2012

Colored Carnation Experiment

My friend, Susan, is a homeschooling SuperMom and always has great ideas for projects to do with the kids. She will be starting a blog soon to share her ideas and I am really excited for it to be up and running. My five year old son LOVES science experiments so I knew he would love this one she told me about.




What You Need:

  • White Carnations
  • Small Vases or Glasses
  • Food Coloring
  • Water
What To Do:

  • Fill vases or glasses with water.
  • Select a different color for each vase and add several drops of food coloring to make the water a very vivid shade of each color. Seriously...don't be shy with the dye (I could have probably used more, especially of the green)!

  • Can you tell how much this kid loves his experiments????
  • Freshly cut the end of each carnation stem and add the white carnations to the colored water.
  • As the colored water goes up the stem and to the flower, the petals will start to show the color. 
  • You will see a difference by the next day and the colors of the flowers will become more vivid as the days pass.

 
My son was amazed by this experiment and was able to make a nice colorful bouquet to give his Mommy! I don't see why this experiment would not work with any white flower (mums, etc.), so if you try it with a different one, let me know! Susan also told me this will work with celery stalks instead of flowers....might have to try that one next!

Places I'm Partying:

www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com

Sumo's Sweet StuffTip Junkie handmade projectsLil\'LunaThe 36th AVENUEPhotobucketPhotobucket One Artsy Mama
Thirty Handmade Days

9 comments:

  1. Oh how cool, my boys will love this thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea. I am always looking for new science experiments to do with my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is such a fun project. I remember doing it as a kid and still think its pretty amazing. If you get a chance I would love for you to link up to my Pin Party on Monday.

    www.sarahdawndesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! Definitely adding it to my list of kiddie crafts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always loved doing this experiment with my students. I have to say, yours look prettier than mine did. New follower from Musings of an Imperfect Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a cute post. I am going to have to try this. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. You can find it at
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/07/face-cleansing-oil-and-wednesdays.html
    It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete