Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Kid Painted Canvas

My Mom has a special song that she has always sung to my kids. I thought that putting the lyrics on a canvas painted by her grandkids would be a special Christmas gift. And since Christmas has come and gone....it has now become Grandma's special birthday gift instead!


What You Need:
  • Canvas (I used an 11x14)
  • Sticky Letters. I used my Cricut to cut mine out of contact paper, but you can use adhesive vinyl or pre-cut alphabet stickers.
  • Paint (Acrylic or Crayola Kids Paint)
  • Mod Podge
  • Paint Brush(es)


How To Make It:
  • Stick letters to canvas. (FYI, I had read on several blogs that going over letters with a layer of Mod Podge keeps the paint from seeping under the letters, so I did this, but I still had some paint go under my letters. The contact paper did not adhere to the canvas as well as the adhesive vinyl letters I've used in the past. I just touched up areas with white paint as needed).
  • Choose the paint colors and hand over the brushes to the kids (preferably outside)!
    
  • Allow canvas to dry and remove stickers.
  • Paint over entire canvas with a layer of Mod Podge to seal the paint (I used Crayola Washable Paints so wanted to seal it).

Sharing at:

7 comments:

  1. This is so sweet...I love it...I'm sure their Grandma will love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute, I'm so happy I found this blog:) I'm a new follower. If you have a minute, please stop by my brand new blog. I'd love to have you follow me, too:) Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read somewhere that using Mod Podge over Crayola washable paints will ruin the paint on your canvas. Did you have any issues? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - I read somewhere that mod podge will ruin something painted with crayola washable paints. Did you have any issues? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi - I read somewhere that mod podge will ruin something painted with crayola washable paints. Did you have any issues? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete